Monday, December 31, 2007

Traditions

The most wonderful time of year is . . . December 26!

Really, I guess I like Christmas, but I don't like everything that has become associated with it.

I don't like seeing Christmas displays in October. I don't like cold weather. I don't like icy roads. I don't care for the traditional Christmas colors; our tree is decorated in pastel ornaments, gold bows and butterflies. My favorite holiday is Easter. When a friend of mine was commenting of me not liking Christmas, I replied by saying, "Easter is my favorite holiday and you know what???? Christmas wouldn't mean much if it wasn't for Easter".

I'm not social sort of a person. Don't get me wrong, I love being with friends and family, but only in "little bits". I don't like crowds and that includes crowd of friends and/or family members. I enjoy having a meal with another couple in a restaurant, but I cannot stand visiting in someones home. At a restaurant, you can relax without the responsibility of having to entertain or be entertained. A good meal and conversation can last a couple of hours and then you're done. I think I may have A.D.H.D. or some form of it at least. Just sitting makes me so nervous. "Chit Chat" bores me to tears if I have to do it for very long at a time. I have to have alone time. The holidays are usually back to back days of social engagements. This exhausts me!

Christmas was good this year - no major events and a lot of tradition. I do savor tradition. Traditions are very important to me. Saturday, December 22 Farrah and Jim arrived while I was at Curves and my manicure. (Merry Christmas to me). The four of us enjoyed our "Betty Christmas". We ate at "The Reserve" on the Levy and then took our "Christmas Cruise". This tradition began when Farrah was two years old.

Sunday-December 23 we went to mom's to exchange presents and enjoy an informal meal. Farrah and Jim went to a movie later in the evening.

Monday-December 24 the four of us went to Jeff's mom for the traditional meal of oyster stew, steak, potato and various desserts. We traded gifts and were home early.

Tuesday - we hosted our annual Christmas Breakfast. The meal was served at 9:30. Farrah and Jim left for Louisville at 11:00 a.m. as they were on their way to Louisville. The rest were gone by noon. By 2:00 p.m. on Christmas Day all signs of Christmas were gone!

Wednesday - December 26th Jeff and I had our 22nd annual day after Christmas shopping date. this tradition started because our parents always gave us cash for Christmas. Since Farrah was a toddler and I was a stay at home mom, money was tight. Jeff decided that this day should be used to take our money, go out to eat and go shopping. The rule was that we could buy whatever struck our fancy (within the limits of our Christmas money) and that we would make a point of NOT HAVING to do anything; just whatever you chose to do. This year we left at 7:00 a.m. and did not get home until 11:30 p.m. - not bad for a couple of old people, huh?

On the 27th, Jeff and I did not get up until 10:30! We spent the rest of the week doing odd jobs, organizing closets and drawers, watching TV, etc. Yesterday (Sunday) was the first day I'd been out of the house since Wednesday! Yesterday we did the shopping thing; groceries, toiletries and supplies for New Year's Eve.

Jeff has gone back to work today, but will be home around 5:00. We plan on celebrating New Year's Eve by watching the Paranormal Marathon on Court TV, while eating shrimp cocktails and junk food. When Farrah was young we had a tradition of spending the evening with another couple who had children the same age as Farrah. For the past several years, Jeff and I have spent the evening alone - another tradition.

Tomorrow, New Year's Day, we will just relax and prepare for the rest of the work week. I'll make Reubens for our meal of the day (another tradition) and I'm sure Jeff will be watching football. I will be reading.

It's time to count down the days until Spring!

1 Comments:

Blogger valerie said...

sounds like a wonderful holiday for you and the family!
Happy New Year!

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home